[Magdalen] Watching Westminster

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 22:38:34 UTC 2017

I do this every year, and I watch other dog shows too. I really mostly love
the junior handling, obedience, and agility competitions, but it's always
fun for me to watch the conformation part and see if I can outguess the
judges. Mostly I can't, because I tend to root for my favorite breeds, but
occasionally I do. Today, watching what little they showed of junior
handling, I was absolutely captivated by a seven year old girl showing a
borzoi. She was barely taller than the dog, but the dog did exactly what
she wanted it to! It was absolutely magical, like a little princess with
her huge companion.

However, one thing that always bothers me about handlers, mostly the
females but occasionally the males, is their attire. So many of them dress
in a manner that is distracting from the dogs...tight and or short skirts,
flashy or glitzy things, bright colors...some of it quite unflattering to
them, also. I wish the kennel clubs, or the dog fancy as a whole, would
crack down and institute a policy requiring clothing in neutral colors, no
glitz, not skin-tight, and of a reasonable length. It would certainly be a
relief to a lot of the viewers and the spectators. These things are
supposed to be about the dogs you are showing, not about YOU. *end of rant*