[Magdalen] Indeed, here - Was test

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sat Feb 18 12:48:56 UTC 2017

We gotta work on our subject lines, folks!  Opened this one by chance!

Just minutes after clicking send yestereday evening Everett called to say we were back amongst the emPowered.  I didn't bother to update at that time, because I didn't want to jinx it.  Plus, I was so wiped out from the day, and all I could think of was my 16 oz New York Strip soon to be had at my local steakhouse that got power at precisely the moment we did, and away the evening went.

As for my Agency, we do get involved in emergency situations, but mainly as support to the Office of Emergency Services, and only for the Salinas and Pajaro Rivers and some streams.  By and large, flooding situations are private property issues, with us helping as we can (a small staff can only be stretched so thin when there's little to no assessment revenue).  We do have our Moments, though.  A few weeks ago a couple of our field crew were walking the Pajaro Levee monitoring for problems during a storm, when a building across the way went up in flames.  So, sometimes we're carrying the proverbial heavy equipment on our backs, and sometimes we're carrying old men out of burning buildings.

I in my own capacity work strictly with the regulatory side of things, getting out on the field sometimes to "monitor the mitigations" that some projects have to comply with in order to avoid code enforcement issues.  Put simply, my job is to help the public not be its own worst enemy.

Crossing fingers for an electrified three-day weekend (so, sorry Sibyl: ain't heading back to work till Tuesday!).