[Magdalen] Unplugged for Two Weeks.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Feb 23 16:53:07 UTC 2017

In a message dated 2/23/2017 10:10:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gracecan at gmail.com writes:

"Hidden  Figures," Lynn, and yes, it was terrific!  I marveled at that old
computer that took up virtually the whole room. I also marveled at the way
the  three women were able to persevere through all the racism they faced.
IIRC, Katherine was able to see the film when it came out--I'm not sure the
 other two are still  alive.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back in my life in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, I had Seymour Cray as a  patient.
 He was an eccentric
genius and though his supercomputer headquarters was in Seattle  (WA), his
"think tank"
was between Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls (WI).  The odd assortment of
youngish employees
who made up the think tank group was the stuff of local legends because
they looked as though
they would be more at home in San Francisco (CA) than in Eau Claire.   The
think tank employees
were often seen meditating on the wooded trails in that Hallie  Township
where a good friend
physician (and son of the Chairman of the UW-Madison Botany Department) was
 shot dead by
a couple of underage boys, out of deer season in this posted, no-hunting
area.

I know that 35-40 years ago, his supercomputers which were the
international standards at that
time (maybe still are?), were physically huge by today's standards.

David S.