[Magdalen] This is nuts

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Feb 24 15:51:39 UTC 2017

In a message dated 2/24/2017 9:30:15 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gracecan at gmail.com writes:

They are  crossing them with the blight-resistant Chinese
Chestnuts>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is being done by the American Chestnut Society in a big way.
Seedlings are available
at times to members.  I've been tempted, but I really have no good  space
for such a tree
here.  I do know that my property did at one time have American  Chestnuts
because there
are a couple of tell-tale sprouters on the property.  These get about  10'
in height, and then
wilt from the blight.

The American Chestnut was a co-dominant locally, with the oaks, and that in
 the spring
when the trees bloomed, it looked as though the mountain ranges were snow
covered.
Though I will not see it, I do look forward to the day when the blight
resistant chestnuts
are returned to these mountains.

David S.