[Magdalen] This is nuts

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 17:09:08 UTC 2017

The very sad part of the story is that before the blight the chestnut formed almost the base of the economy in these mountains. The wood is rot-resistant and was used to build cabins, fences, etc. The nuts, of course, provided food for animals and were also a cash crop. The bark was used by factories that tanned leather.
All of that ended with the blight, and the whole economy shifted. I think that's one reason it was easier for the government to come in and take people's land for the park, though they probably would have anyway. But if the mountain economy had been stronger and people hadn't been so poor by then, they might have put up a stronger fight.