[Magdalen] Passing of a Pioneer.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 04:13:08 UTC 2017

It was a pleasure to see the name Virgil Fox again.  My wife and I saw him
perform at the Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh. He was playing an electronic
organ, which had the most amazing sound.

This delightful stuffy yet a bit loopy little fellow had filled the hall
with groupies who screamed "Go VIRGIL ! !" (to which he replied, "Why thank
you!").  My wife was taken with his second act costume including rhinestone
studded organ shoes.  He was so flashy, but how he could play.

A lot of people loved to criticize him, but the organist at Ascension
Church, Pgh., where my wife and I met while singing in the choir, showed
the deep impression Fox made. He said that he felt Fox' interpretations
were often a bit over the top -- "but his performance of Bach's chorale,
Komm suesser Tod, brought tears to my eyes."

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford