[Magdalen] Cat prayers

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 04:28:04 UTC 2017

I realize how people feel about putting cats down, but I think we are only
looking at one side of it.

There are too many cats, and that isn't at all under control.  So when a
shelter is no-kill, it either has a phenomenal adoption rate, or it has to
say no to new admissions sometimes, and that means the cats not admitted
are dying on the street in several horrific ways. Death at the shelter by
lethal injection is a brief procedure, but quick and relatively pain-free.

If they stay on the street, Let's see.

The cat can get parasites and gradually weaken so that it cannot kill prey,
and cannot defend itself, so it becomes prey of opportunistic animals.
Obviously it can also be vulnerable to diseases and end up dying a slow
death of some disease. If it's lucky, the disease is quick.

Cars kill lots of cats, or leave them maimed so that they cannot survive,
but do not die right away.

Packs of dogs running loose will easily corner and rip a cat to pieces.

Coyotes, likewise.

Abusive humans catch and kill or torture various animals.

Even if they are healthy and their mother teaches them to hunt well, they
have little to catch, and can easily weaken to the point where disease gets
them.

Put all of those on one side of the equation and put that injection on the
other side.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford