[Magdalen] Italian priest replaces Nativity scene after outcry over ‘burqa’ | Religion News Service

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 19:52:56 UTC 2017

Another I'd recommend with reservations is
A Right to be Merry (by Mother Mary Francis, c1956)
one of those gems long out of print but available via Kindle.

Enclosure is so hard to understand (for me, at least). She does a wonderful
job of unfolding its beauty.

We have a convent of Poor Clares here, well-cared-for (it's on a major
roadway, so one passes it often, and there's never a broken blind or a
dirty window and the lawn never needs cutting). No idea how many nuns are
there because, of course, they're enclosed. I spoke with one once at the
hospital (she needed directions). Was shocked that she was alone, actually.
-M

PS: Hope you're all watching Call the Midwife. Early on in the series there
was a faintly damning portrait of a Roman Catholic versus Anglican view of
caring for a homeless pregnant teenager.