[Magdalen] Italian priest replaces Nativity scene after outcry over ‘burqa’ | Religion News Service

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 23:04:17 UTC 2017

I don't think so. Convents and monasteries (Christian and Buddhist both)
observe one or more periods of silence, at night, of course, and sometimes
at periods during the day (like meals in silence) and on whole days
(like Good Friday),
stuff like that.

Allan would know more about the Buddhist practice. I was always amazed at
how infrequently Buddhists spoke at all. They bowed alot, though. Others
would
knowabout monastery practice.

One of my friends told me there was a kind of sign language in use for
silent
meals (like sliding the fingers over the palm for "please pass the salt."
Not sure if she was pulling my leg.

There are protocols for breaking silence, though, like shouting "Fire!" at
2 am.
That would be OK.

We actually had a discussion once about email and texting.
Does texting break silence?

A different way of living.
-M