[Magdalen] An Epiphany tradition?

sally.davies at gmail.com sally.davies at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 11:01:22 UTC 2017

"Well that was different" - quote from my DH after we attended St
Augustine's Cathedral (RC) for today's Epiphany service.

He was dissatisfied with the "naff" music not because it was folksy but
because they have a lovely organ which was played throughout without
changing the stops or really doing anything much. However,  before the
service started the priest came out in shirt sleeves and made the people
practice the Psalm response and a couple of the hymns so I felt there was
at least an intention to sing as well as possible!

I was on cloud nine, RC services have that euphoric effect on me without
fail.  There was very little grandeur but the cathedral packed with people
from all over everywhere - it's an inner city church that ministers to
refugees and immigrants, and we still have many holidaymakers in town.

We sang carols - We Three Kings, First Nowell and Hark the Herald angels;
as well as a rather odd but sweet hymn that imagines witnessing the
Nativity story to the tune of Roger Whittaker's Last Farewell.

What I wanted to ask - has anyone in the Pub come across the tradition of
"Chalking the Door"? The pew leaflet/newsletter we picked up encourages
people to bless some chalk and then write 20 + C + M + B+17 on the lintel
above the front door with the following prayer:

"The three Wise Men, Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar followed the star of
God's son who became human two thousand and seventeen years ago. May Christ
bless our home and remain with us throughout the year. Amen".

A specific prayer for the blessing of the home and "all who live or visit
here"  follows. The C, M and B represent the traditional names of the Magi
but also abbreviate "Christus Mansionem Benedicat" with crosses bookended
by 2017. God bless this mansion, indeed.

The sermon highlighted the "different way" that that Magi took after
visiting the Christ Child, emphasising that each time we encounter the
Christ we too will find ourselves taking a different, unplanned way. It
occurred to me that even though the Magi had a long and difficult journey,
they had not come nearly as far as the Child they came to see.

Two babies were baptised - oh my word, they really did a number on those
kids, both very small - one couldn't have been more than a couple of weeks.
Not a stitch of clothing on, dipped into the font and then held up by the
priest like those little flying cherubs in paintings. Both cried at the
dipping but on being held aloft as the congregation sang "Alleluia,
alleluia" both immediately stopped crying and gazed out at the people in
wonder. Only after this were they dressed in their christening robes. Each
one - a boy and a girl - was "anointed priest, prophet and king" in the
name of Christ.

I never saw the like but it was a wonderful experience to be part of. We
went up for Eucharist but crossed arms over our chests to receive a
blessing.

Perhaps I should be worried that I always feel so at home on the other side
of the Tiber, given how much I disagree with (some of) the Church's
teachings!!  I told Keith that I seem to have a Catholic heart but alas,
not a Catholic mind.

Sally D