[Magdalen] An Epiphany tradition?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Jan 8 17:19:29 UTC 2017

In a message dated 1/8/2017 6:01:37 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
sally.davies at gmail.com writes:

What I  wanted to ask - has anyone in the Pub come across the tradition  of
"Chalking the Door"? The pew leaflet/newsletter we picked up  encourages
people to bless some chalk and then write 20 + C + M + B+17 on  the lintel
above the front door with the following  prayer:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes; that is very common here in heavily Roman Catholic Luzerne
County, Pennsylvania.

This county has the distinction of being the only USA county with
predominantly Polish ancestry.  The county also has a very  lengthy
history of voting solidly for the Democratic ticket, but went for
Trump in this past election.  This is such a change that it  attracted
the interest of a CBC (Canadian) documentary crew, and they are
interviewing widely in Luzerne (Wilkes-Barre) and Lackawanna (Scranton)
Counties to figure out what happened.

David S.