[Magdalen] Chemo tomorrow

Eleanor Braun eleanor.braun at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 01:38:41 UTC 2017

Brian, I'm not sure whether your question is directed to Molly or me.

I have ovarian cancer (actually primary peritoneal, but that takes too much
explanation).

I was diagnosed in September 2014.  I've had surgery, and two series of
chemotherapy.  For the third round I was offered a clinical trial, which
tests the combination of a standard chemotherapy (Doxil) with an
immunotherapy drug (Pembro).  Pembro was the drug used to cure Jimmy
Carter's brain tumor, which actually was metastasized melanoma.  Drug
companies are now testing Pembro on other solid tumors.  This is a phase 2
trial; everyone gets the drug combination - no placebos.

Pembro is not necessarily a silver bullet, but it is worth a try.

Eleanor