[Magdalen] Home again, home again

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 10 22:23:24 UTC 2017

On 10/01/2017 18:29, Scott Knitter wrote:
> You did better than I did with my first time driving out of IAH
> airport. GPS would have helped back then. I went everywhere except
> where I needed to go!

The first time I drove out of IAH, indeed the first time I drove in the
USA or drove a car with the steering wheel on the left, I got lost on my
way to Lynn's.  I didn't know how to operate the wipers and it was
raining like it would never stop. I couldn't position the GPS where I
could see it and the road I should have taken looked like an airport
service road so I passed it by. I am now far more confident about
driving in the USA.

Incidentally, how many people realise that we have Gulf War I to thank
for GPS being publicly available? It was developed for military use and
the satellite signals were coded so as to limit their use by others. The
coalition that was involved in restoring Kuwaiti independence needed
access by many allies to more accurate satellite-based navigation so the
USA enabled this as there weren't enough receivers capable of decoding
the encrypted date. This is what opened the door to our ability to use
it to  know where we are and how to get to where we want to be.

Roger