[Magdalen] Prayer Request--Fire at the neighbors'

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 16:35:18 UTC 2017

Last night I was just about asleep when I heard a couple of bangs like car
doors slamming and then a couple more. Our neighbors across the road, and
the ones just down the hill. are known to be noisy at times, so I grumbled
and turned over. A few minutes later I was startled out of near-sleep by a
louder boom and sat up, saying "holy sh*t, what was that?" which woke S/O.
I didn't hear anything more, but less than ten minutes later there were
suddenly flashing red lights in the bedroom window. At that point I  got
up, threw on my robe, and started down the stairs. I got halfway down to
where I could see the road and came back up. "It *is* something! There's
cops everywhere!" I said. S/O got up, we both got dressed, and we went
outside...he was quicker than I was, so by the time I got downstairs he was
already back in looking for some blankets.

It wasn't the police, it was fire engines, lots of them. Six companies, 5
of them volunteer, plus one truck from Harrisonburg. Six young people were
standing in our driveway. Their outbuilding, a garage/workshop similar to
ours but much larger, was engulfed in flames. In it were their tractor, a
truck cab and other things, welding and mechanic equipment, and the young
man's treasured Mustang, as well as the dog runs for their 4 dogs. The
three grown dogs had been in the runs; the puppy had been in the house with
them. As the story came out over the course of the next couple of hours,
while we shuttled back and forth with tea for them, water for the dogs,
blankets, etc., one young couple apparently lives in the house and the rest
are more or less related one way  and another, siblings with their
significant others. The father of one of the young couple (not sure if the
husband or wife) is the same man who built our house and also built theirs;
He died just a few months ago (we weren't aware of that) and they're still
sorting out the will. Anyway, the guys had been hanging out in the shop as
guys will, and had left 15 minutes or so prior to the fire to get snacks or
something at the local 7-11. When they got halfway back they could already
see the flames and one of them had the presence of mind to call the girls
to get up and get out of the house (they were already up 0 and call 911.
The firetrucks came without sirens or that definitely would have wakened
the neighborhood. When they got back one of the guys was able to get to the
building and open the dog runs (very brave on his part!) but then he had to
run for his life. They got 2 of the dogs but were still looking for the
other when we got outside.

The building is a total loss, as is everything in it, but the house and
garage are safe. Firemen found the body of the dog inside; she was
apparently too scared to move. The young folks had no electricity and no
water as of early this morning and probably none today. They have
homeowner's insurance but don't know whether it covers any of what they
lost. They're young and not well-educated and still sorting out what to do
after dad's death. Pray for Jason and Alex and their extended family and
also for Izzy, the dog who didn't make it.

And by the way, It's a hell of a way to meet your neighbors!