[Magdalen] Prayer Request for my old friend

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Mon Jan 16 17:02:48 UTC 2017

Hmmm.  "Elderly."  I guess if it were even vaguely defined, as is "senior"
(whether it starts at 50 or 65 or whatever, at least there's a defining
age), it wouldn't be so (even mildly) offensive to me.  There seems to me
to be just a touch of a sniff attached to the word "elderly," some sort of
judgment about age or physical condition (I've heard it used pretty
interchangeably with "frail elderly").

I've been wondering the same thing (and having a similar debate) regarding
the word "sickly."  My housemate and her partner have been -- not just
under the weather, but pretty much out of commission, flat in bed or
housebound, for most of the fall and winter (well, except to go to San
Diego for a vacation, of course).  I offhandedly used the word "sickly"
when I referred to the two of them several weeks ago, and was met with a
sharp response.  When I pointed out the weeks they had been out of
commission (not socializing, even with each other, not doing usual
activities, keeping only necessary appointments, going to bed and to sleep
after being out for even a short time), there was still an icy silence.  To
be perfectly truthful, when I stopped to think it through there was a
certain mild value judgment on my part attached to the use of the word
"sickly" (sometimes it feels as though they're trying to
"out-hypochondriac" one another).  However, it really was an offhand,
almost inadvertent use of the word at the time, expressing sympathy, I
thought, for the amount of time they both seemed to be laid up.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu