[Magdalen] how long have I been hanging around with you folks

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Wed Jan 18 16:19:46 UTC 2017

Christopher Hart wrote:
> How nice to hear from Simon Kershaw. I believe it was he who used to
> post
> on St. Bede's a monthly summary of how many times the most frequent
> posters
> had posted that month. I especially recall one month when Tony Hitsman
> (may
> he rest in peace) feigning shocked surprise replied "What? Wasn't I gone
> half the month?"

Thanks Christopher -- yes indeed I did. I just went hunting through old
emails on my iPhone, and found loads of those old stats posts. But then I
found a post about this page:
  http://kershaw.org.uk/etc/stats/
where I regularly archived each of my monthly stats posts (and the logs
from which I created them) from October 1993 to January 2000 (though the
older data seems to be missing). By 1999 the list was getting some 7000
messages a month, i.e. over 200 a day and many of us were failing to cope
with that volume. I think that was *one* of the reasons that St Bede's was
created, and then subsequently Magdalen.

These stats are for anglican at american.edu | stsams.org. But I used to do
something similar for St Bedes too.

Happy days!

simon