[Magdalen] Keith's birthday list & thoughts on the Day of the Jackals

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 16:29:42 UTC 2017

Such beautiful sentiments.  Thank you! I think we eventually will shake off
the evil that may come with this administration, and in time, it will be
the source of "can you believe...?" stories. His name will of course be
remembered, but I doubt it will be on everyone's lips.

I recall an otherwise uneventful day when I was a student at Pitt, and had
some business in the Cathedral of Learning. It has elevators since it has
42 storeys. I was speaking with an elevator operator, an African-American
man, and for some reason the name of Franklin Roosevelt came up. At the
mention of the name, this man in what I'm sure was an automatic gesture,
removed his hat. Perhaps he saw a puzzled look on my face. He looked at me,
looked at his cap, looked at me again and said, "He us feel like he cared
about us all."  If that simple gesture were the only thing that loved on in
after FDR, it would be enough.

The present incumbent of the office will never inspire that kind of memory,
and there's a reason for that.

How fortunate we are to have friends who overlook our shortcomings and love
us anyway.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford