[Magdalen] Keith's birthday list & thoughts on the Day of the Jackals

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Jan 20 16:52:04 UTC 2017

In a message dated 1/20/2017 11:37:54 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

I was  awash in tears during a documentary about FDR as they showed the
outpouring  of love and grief across the nation at his death. He had
truly been a  father to the whole  country.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I often heard FDR's name taken in vain in my youth, my
parents being the Republicans they were.  There was the to
unusual use of forms of "damn" in these frequent outbursts,
with the Pope (Pius XII) thrown in for good measure:  "Damn
FDR and the Pope."  During WW-2, the "Damn Hitler, Tojo,
and Mussolini" replaced the FDR/Pope designation.

Therefore, when I drove down from Atlanta to see the
Callaway Gardens during the azalea  season, it was only an
afterthought that caused me to drive still further south to check
out FDR's Summer White House at Warm Springs, GA.

The tour group for the Summer White House was led in through
the garage where I was unprepared for the fact that his famous
1938 Ford convertible was parked there.  This is the car that  was
fitted with pedals that allowed him to drive it even though he was
paralyzed in his lower body.

I burst into tears.

I think that began my conversion to the Democratic Party.

David S.