[Magdalen] Saturday Marches

Judy Fleener fleenerj at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 00:02:54 UTC 2017

I am just home from Washington.and still exhausted.  Those of us on a bus
from Muskegon had quite an adventure including a bus break down.  We left
Muskegon with 55 women in pink shirts and pink pussy hats at 7 on Friday
morning.  Our goal was Gettysburg for the night, we never got there.  At 11
we checked into a motel in Breezeport PA.  We arrived in Washington with
thousands of other buses at about 7 am.  From then until we were home was
such an amazing experience, one I will never forget. The crowds in
Washington were huge and joyful. Even the metro ride was fun.  Cheers arose
randomly from the crowd as it moved to the rally. I was impressed by the
variety of constituencies in the crowd.  There were so many young people
there.  They were labor people, Native Americans, LBGTQ with 2 additional
letters, I and A, a number of women in hajib, immigrants, African
Americans. We found a place where we could hear the speakers and
entertainers.Watched the march rather than marching, from the line for a
port o potty.

I knew a number of people who were marching but never saw a person I knew.
There were not many people as old as the Dude and I.  I am so grateful that
I could do this.I really feel my age today.  I don't usually.

My favorite signs:  A young girl, maybe 10 or 12 held a sign that read:
"Buckle up buttercup: We are the Resistance." and "You knw Trump will lie
about the size of this protest."

QUESTION:  Among a group of gay men in the march were several dressed in
all white with veils over their faces.  I was pretty farfrom them, but each
may have held a poster with a photo of a person.  Can someone explain this
to me/

--
Judy Fleener, ObJN,SSH
Western Michigan