[Magdalen] No mail

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Sat Jan 28 00:38:26 UTC 2017

I also have not noticed a rightward shift on NPR. I wonder if it's your
local public radio coverage that's the problem, Jay? I do listen daily, and
so would surely notice such a shift. I'm also surprised that I haven't
heard or read anything about these journalists being arrested. I read the
NYTimes cover to cover every Sunday, and there wasn't a word, unless I
somehow missed it.

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 12:48 PM Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm interested in your comment about NPR, Jay. That's where I get most of
> my news...along with the BBC news Hour--and I hadn't noticed that shift to
> the right. In fact, I've noticed that if they do interview folks on the
> right, they challenge them pretty directly, sometimes arguing persistently.
>
> > On Jan 25, 2017, at 11:34 AM, Jay Weigel <jay.weigel at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > If I want reasonably unbiased news, I tend to go to The Guardian-US and
> > Al-Jazeera English. I've given up on NPR because it's taken a hard turn
> > the right, and I don't subscribe to WaPo or NYT because I don't pay for
> > online subscriptions.
> >
> > Arresting journalists for doing their work is typical of totalitarian
> > regimes.
> >
> > And what, pray tell, is "disgusting and obscene" about a pink (or other
> > colored) hat with cat ears? Really.~smdh~
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Well, he pulled the NYT's credentials for awhile during the campaign,
> and
> >> I fully expect him to do that again at least for the near future. Same
> with
> >> the Washington Post.
> >> And, in case you haven't seen it, 6 journalists who were covering the
> >> protests during the actual inauguration were arrested and arraigned on
> >> felony charges. Hearings will be in March or April, I forget which.
> >> "1984" no longer seems like fiction--Alternative Facts are the modern
> >> version of New-speak.
>

> --
Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle