[Magdalen] home from Chicago

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 21:26:18 UTC 2017

Yes, at some point hotel owners realized all that's really needed at
checkout is to get the key back, and not really even that if it's just a
plastic card (although re-using them is the norm). You can let the guest
just leave and all is settled using the credit card (and the funds
initially put on hold) that was swiped at check-in.

The Palmer House redid a lot of the restaurant and retail space to be more
attuned to modern customers and less a sad reminder of realities that are
no more (closed, empty shops; tired cafes, abandoned little corners and
corridors). They upscaled their main restaurant...made it all look
livelier. And the check-in/check-out desk is rather small. I think it used
to be a long, long counter at which many lines of guests could wait.

There's really nothing like that lobby...I usually find a way to take
visitors through it even if we're on our way to somewhere else and there
isn't a real reason to enter the Palmer House. :)

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA