[Magdalen] Richard III

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 19:12:57 UTC 2017

Yes, to some degree we in the New World are the ones who kept the
traditional pronunciation of R, but I know that's overly general.

I used to enjoy watching a VHS tape I made off the CBC station in Windsor,
Ont., of a live broadcast production of Romeo and Juliet from the Stratford
Festival.

Stentorian Canadian English, mainly (with the notable exception of the UK's
wonderful Barbara Bryne as Nurse (she was Costanza Mozart's mom in the film
Amadeus, banging with her fan on the Emperor's foot demanding to be lifted
up to the stage). But one could tell when there were words the director had
instructed them to pronounce more English-ly, like "beauty" with a clear T
rather than "bewdy." "BeauTy too rich for use; for earth too dear!"

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA