[Magdalen] What are we reading?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 14:04:35 UTC 2017

There are so many books I want to read but can't find a moment to make any
progress in. Just frustrating. Yes, eliminating time spent online (outside
of work) would create time.

I've got a copy of Ulysses from the library and have actually read 20 pages
or so and it makes sense. Probably not the best choice for someone who
struggles to get any reading done, though. I have reading I'm supposed to
do as part of my Benedictine oblate vocation, but the current book is meant
to be read day by day as a commentary on the daily portion of the Rule.
Kind of dry to read right through, or sit there and alternate
Rule-commentary-Rule-commentary. It's by the excellent Esther de Waal. My
struggles are not her fault.

But the job project awaits...another working weekend. I just realized I
have vacation on the calendar next week. I'm going to move it, because I
really don't want to spend the first day of a vacation week at a memorial
service (wonderful though that one will be) nor the following two days of
it keeping tabs on whether the proposal I've been working on makes it to
its client's distant destination. A week off needs to be a week off.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA