[Magdalen] Pardons

Eleanor Braun eleanor.braun at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 19:46:20 UTC 2017

Interesting question.  Ford's pardon covered a specific period of time, but
not specific acts.  It looks to me that if it were later discovered that
Nixon had stolen undelivered mail from the Post Office (a federal crime),
or had kidnapped Daniel Ellsburg's psychiatrist, he would be pardoned for
those also, if committed in that time period.

"Now, THEREFORE, I, GERALD R. FORD, President of the United States,
pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of
the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free,
and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United
States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or
taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August
9,1974."

So it probably depends on how the pardon is worded.

Eleanor