[Magdalen] Christmas musings...

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 24 21:52:22 UTC 2017

I would certainly put the transition later than noon local time. If
there is a mid-afternoon mass normally then that will be "of the day",
Advent 4 in this case. Anticipatorey masses of the Eve would probably
not be until at least 4 o'clock, and then only exceptionally. The parish
priest may well want an early evening or late afternoon mass aimed at
attracting children and families at 5 or 6 so the children can be put to
bed at a reasonable time afterwards. In the parish I always liked to
start the Christmas season with a family-orientated service at 4.30 or 5.

This side of the pond many RC churches have a period of carol-singing
before the Midnight Mass. I would suggest waiting until September and
then asking the priest what he plans for the Christmas season.

Roger