[Magdalen] Fachwerk.

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Thu Jun 8 19:17:44 UTC 2017

Joe, you are so sweet.  I lived with my friend Cheryl with the
understanding (on my part) that we would share costs for renovating a
bedroom and sitting room, and putting in a bathroom on her 3rd floor, so I
would have my own little "mother in law" apartment, but would still shop
and cook for the both of us, and we'd share the kitchen on her 2nd floor.
Turns out that wasn't her understanding, even though it was mine -- but it
took 2.5 years to get really clear on that. So yes, now I'm on my own and
loving it.  I'm just the kind of person that needs my own space.  Being an
"Air bnb" host is my worst nightmare, though Cheryl is thinking of it, now
that I've moved out.  She's an extrovert, as you might guess, and I peg
pretty far over on the introvert scale.

You are also sweet to ask about St. Raphael's.  I check the web page and
talk to people now and then.  They've got a new priest that they seem very
happy with, and some new members and new activities.  A new organist with
big-time knowledge of both Anglican music and choral direction has resulted
in a re-invigoration of the choir, and they've moved back up into the choir
loft, which as you know made for great musical acoustics in the church.  I
haven't been back to visit, but may get back there sometime.  I still love
them and speak of them often, though I also love my current work.  I much
prefer being "Sunday help" and a little more -- extended, stable supply
(with an additional day of administrative and/or pastoral care duties) for
one congregation serves me very well.  I love liturgy and preaching, and
don't have to feel at all involved or responsible for the "politics" part
of parish life.  It's great!

Meanwhile, I do my yoga and my Jungian studies and my writing and reading
and puttering and AA, and just generally enjoy the semi-retired life.  I
just started doing some volunteer gardening for the local Himalayan
Institute (yoga and meditation center), which is about 2 blocks from where
I live.  This has been the longest, coolest spring that I remember in
Buffalo, but that's fine.  I live in a brick building without air
conditioning, so I'm just as happy that it hasn't got hot yet -- though it
also keeps me from getting down to the trailer on the beach, as I really
prefer it HOT when I go there.  There are  repairs I need to make down
there, too, and I'm not looking forward to that.  Our awning came down over
the winter, and we probably need a new toilet.  I can't do this stuff, of
course, and will have to arrange for people to help me.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu