[Magdalen] The Adoration Corpus Cristi

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 02:32:24 UTC 2017

Modern Roman Catholic parishes have their own ways of observing Corpus
Christi. I'm not sure all of them will have Benediction of the Blessed
Sacrament or a eucharistic procession. I'm thinking what's required is
at least celebrating the propers of the day, with a homily about the
Sacrament.

At Ascension, Chicago (Anglo-Catholic), we'll have a eucharistic
procession at the end of Mass, with the celebrant holding the
monstrance with the ends of a humeral veil, assisted by the deacon and
subdeacon, all of us under a canopy held up by four ushers. We'll go
out a side door of the church and then around the front to the parish
garden next door, where the monstrance will be put on an outdoor
marble altar. There will be some devotions and a choral motet there,
and then we'll proceed back in to the high altar, where Benediction
will happen.

Benediction basics:

1. Exposition (the consecrated Host is brought out of the tabernacle
and placed in the monstrance, and the monstrance positioned on the
altar for all to see).
2. Two hymns sung while all kneel: O salutaris Hostia (O saving
Victim), and Tantum ergo sacramentum (Therefore we, before him
bending) - Bowing and incensing during these
3. A versicle and collect said/sung by the priest.
4. The humeral veil is put on the priest, who ascends to the altar and
uses the veil to pick up the monstrance.
5. The Benediction: the priest uses the monstrance to make a big, slow
sign of the Cross over the people. More censing.
6. The monstrance is put back on the altar and the humeral veil taken
off the priest's shoulders.
7. The Divine Praises are said, the people repeating each after the priest.
8. The priest goes up and removes the Host from the monstrance and
puts it back in the tabernacle ("reposes the Sacrament").
9. All sing Ps. 117 with the antiphon "Let us for ever adore: the Most
Holy Sacrament."
10. The priest and servers depart.

Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament used to be done every Sunday in
our church, following Evensong (which started at 4). Now it's once a
month, October through June.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA