[Magdalen] Hospice

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 19:19:19 UTC 2017

_The witness of illness (really!)_

A young woman who was suffering from a life-threatening illness wanted to
go to a graduate school in theology to study to be a parish minister. She
made an appointment with an admissions counselor who explained the
application process and gave her the necessary forms to complete.
 At the end of the meeting, the woman put her hands in the crutches she had
leaned against the admissions officer's desk.
"Do you think they'll accept me?"
"Yes," the college rep replied, "I really think they'll accept you."
"But I'm dying," she said.
"Well," the rep said, "we're all dying."
"But I'm really dying."
"Well, we are all really dying. I've never seen anyone not accepted because
they were really dying."
"Really?"
"Really. Maybe you are called to be here to help us all remember this truth
- that what we call 'living' is really 'dying.'"
"Really?" she asked again.
"Really."
[From "A poetic reflection: what we call living is really dying" by Minka
Shura Sprague, _The Living Pulpit_, July-September 1995.]

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford