[Magdalen] Mardi Gras.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Wed Mar 1 16:40:02 UTC 2017

On 2/28/17 10:27 PM, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> Interesting Sibyl. My dad's name was Eugene and he was 1/2 Norwegian from MN. I'm wondering if that was a popular Scandinavian name? When he left home he was called by his last name by friends for the rest of his life - Tully.
> Lynn

Uncle Gene was an exception.  He had a lot of names, and didn't really
belong in my example.  His birth name was Harry Eugene Anderson.  He was
native-born American, and his parents came from Sweden already married.
  For some reason, we had quite a few Swedish immigrants here in this
little rural area who arrived in the early 20th century, many of them
already related (came here specifically probably because they had a
brother or a cousin here before them, and knew that this was a good
place for farmers).  The mother of one of my friends didn't speak any
English when she entered the First Grade of one of the rural schools
(those schools didn't have Kindergarten, nor did mine. That was for town
kids).  She managed just fine, and grew up to be a teacher herself.  My
Uncle Gene had an Uncle whom I knew here, who had a thick accent, called
"Tory" (that was how I heard it, and assumed that it was similar to the
Tories from the American Revolution and the British and Canadian
political parties.)  I had read a lot of Norse mythology, and was amazed
when I saw the proper spelling on his tombstone when I was an adult: it
was spelled "Thor"!  I had never connected the American farmer I knew
with The Thunderer!
    Anyway, back to Uncle Gene, one of the Greatest Generation, fought
in Europe in WWII, and totally American as far as anybody could notice,
except for the nickname "Swede".  Besides the ones I mentioned, the
people who worked at the fertilizer plant with him all called him
"Andy", for Anderson, his surname.  If somebody they ran into in town
when he was with my aunt, his wife, called him "Andy", she knew where he
worked.
   He was the finest of men, almost as perfect as my dad.  I miss him.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net