[Magdalen] Student Ministry News.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 15:36:06 UTC 2017

I noted in the USA monthly, "Diapason" magazine, a picture
of authorities at the UW-Madison RC Saint Paul's Chapel
signing a contract with Boody & Taylor for a new 41 stop
organ for the new Saint Paul's Chapel.  The whole Chapel
project is $46 million, and is being built with private,
apparently non-diocesan funds.

I am happy to see such an instrument which will hopefully
minimize the use of guitars, banjos, and ukuleles.  They
can't go wrong with Boody & Taylor out of Stanton, VA.

The architect's drawing shows the new Chapel design to
be of a traditional vocabulary, and vaguely reminiscent of
the USA National RC Shrine in Washington, DC.

The new construction, to be done this autumn, replaces the
50 year old poured concrete "bunker" Chapel that most resembled
to me an installation of the French Maginot Line which I toured
some years ago.

That 50 year old bunker replaced a neogothic Chapel which
had served the University Catholic Community for an earlier
half century.

Meanwhile, TEC UW Saint Francis Center Tudor and Romanesque
revival buildings were moved to the edge of their property in
order to build a 6 story apartment building which will apparently
defray the student center costs.  UM-Minnesota did much the
same manuever.

David Strang - In the Pennsylvania Poconos.