[Magdalen] ''Twas a Cold Night

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 22:38:45 UTC 2017

A couple of years ago we came home from Sanibel in January to find our
house temperature at 55F. We had the thermostat set for 63F as we usually
do when going away for an extended period but for some reason it had
failed. We'd been using our pellet stove as our main heat source and the
furnace for backup, but obviously the pellet stove had not been lit while
we were away. S/O lit the stove right away and went to deal with the
furnace, which would not stay on. I was not only freezing, but was
miserable anyway because I had come down with a cold the day we left
Florida and my head was horribly stuffed up; the first leg of the flight
back had been miserable as my ears wouldn't "pop" with the altitude--the
purchase of some benadryl at the layover stop helped that. S/O put me to
bed with the electric blanket and multiple quilts and I finally got warm
enough to go to sleep. The next morning he called for service and it turned
out that the thermostat needed replacement.

Interestingly, since the advent of the pellet stove (a Wiseway gravity-fed
critter, no blower, no power required) we use less than half the amount of
oil we previously did, and even with the cost of the pellets for the season
we do not get close to our previous heating bills.