[Magdalen] House vote.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 07:08:28 UTC 2017

Actually, the horse trading goes on all the time.  That's why they have all
these committees. I get a program earmarked for my district, so I have
something to show my people, and in return, you get something too.  A lot
of bills are put out which go nowhere. they can see that they don't have
support.  Guys like Paul Ryan are reputed to be artists at cobbling
together a bunch of people who grudgingly go along with what Ryan wants for
something, in return for certain concessions he gives them.  It's a huge
networking scheme which actually works fairly well, because extreme stuff
generally fails, and when it's working well, everybody gets at least
something they can take back to their constituents and say I'm doing good
work for you, my voters.
Right now, we have a real problem because the Dems are even worse organized
than ever, which is saying something. It's not that they are too liberal
(they aren't), but that they really do not stand for particular specific
things you can take to the bank.
And of course the GOP has been hijacked by the extreme right wing for a
long time.  There is a potential constituency that wants things mildly
progressive and compassionate, but nobody has really made an effort to
connect with them.  The GOP just lies like a rug and prays to their god
that the poor fools buy it (and because the sociopaths lie very, very well,
it seems to be working), and the democrats are just all over the place, so
nobody knows what they really stand for.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford