[Magdalen] I'll Be Calling You OO.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat May 13 15:29:13 UTC 2017

My spouse had trouble tuning into a conversation I was having
this morning over the phone concerning our metal roof.

I quickly realized this was because I was betraying my Upper
Midwest roots by pronouncing the double "O" of roof as though
the word rhymed with "rough/ruff" instead of rhyming with  "soup."

Ditto with root et al.

There are many English words with "00" that EVERYONE does
pronounce rhyming with "rough/ruff," such as "foot" and "soot."

English language vowels must be a nightmare to native
Spanish speakers.

David S.