[Magdalen] Tricolor.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri May 19 17:51:05 UTC 2017

In a message dated 5/19/2017 1:07:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
charles.wohlers at verizon.net writes:

What we  have is lots and lots of native beech. It has an unfortunate
tendency to  spread by underground roots, which makes it difficult to
remove,
if that's  what you're trying to  do.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

American Beech's native range comes just into the extreme eastern
counties of Wisconsin.  I drove over there from the western edge  of
the State one spring to get some seedlings.  I knew about the  propagation
by root suckering, so I had a variety of shovels and axes along to  handle
that situation.

I was able to get out two seedlings, each about 4' in height, and  fastened
them in the back of my SUV.  I was just getting ready to leave when  a
shot rang out and hit the fence post about ten feet away.

I made quick tracks to the West.

The two beech seedlings survived and were doing well when I
left Wisconsin for Pennsyvlvania.

I later found out that though I was digging in the state owned ditch,
I was along land owned by the Posse Comitatus, a right wing
white supremacy group.  They had apparently made it clear that I
was not welcome.

David S.

David S.