[Magdalen] Cornbread: How sweet?

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Tue May 30 00:04:47 UTC 2017

Southern cornbread in buttermilk. Have had this and it's delicious,
especially for supper on a hot night.

We would say "Southern corn bread" to distinguish it from the three New
England corn breads:
Indian pudding
Boston brown bread
and
Johnnycakes

Thank you, thank you, wonderful native people, for teaching us to make
these delicious yummy things.

Indian pudding and Boston brown bread are made with molasses, so are dark
in both color & flavor and very sweet. Brown bread has raisins also.

Johnny (journey) cakes are griddle cakes (originally made on flat heated
stones) and light in color.
-M, who loves all three and can make them without consulting a recipe

PS: the gf, who's a Virginian, drools at the mention of spoonbread