[Magdalen] 234th Diocesan Convention

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 5 16:25:53 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----

The ombrellinos that are displayed in the minor basilicas of the world are rarely if ever carried. I don't really know much about them except that they are granted to these places of pilgrimage. There must be a ceremonial entrance when the basilica is "erected" (not constructed just raised to the honor of a basilica. But after that they are displayed at the basilica.

I would need to look up the basilica umbrellas, but they are not the same as processional umbrellas used in  Eritrean and Ethiopian celebrations. I don't think the New Orleans umbrellas are used indoors. but a large space may be considered an exception. I always heard it was bad luck or impolite to open an umbrellas indoors aside from getting ready to go out in the rain.

I imagine there was some arcane tradition that would explain why our seminary chapel used the ombrellino for Eucharistic processions, while the Benedictines next door (at the "Chapel" of Perpetual Adoration)used a canopy. Also in many places the canopy was used at the entrance of a bishop or monarch and I think the canopy was held over the throne of Elizabeth II during her Coronation (probably the anointing) (I wrote a thesis on the reiteration of the Sacrament of Confirmation which partly referred to the anointing of the sovereign in various traditions)

Joe