[Magdalen] Theological and Liturgical Tidbits - St. John's Abbey.

Lesley de Voil lesleymdv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 19:52:01 UTC 2017

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 at 03:25, cantor03--- via Magdalen <

> magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
>

> > TThe monthly Benedictine, "Worship,"periodical came late last week, and
> > the issue has a number of subjects related to the 500th Anniversary
> > of the Protestant (Lutheran) Reformation.
>

> > 2.  A discussion of the Kyrie, especially as it evolved during the
> Baroque
> > (JS Bach) and later periods into a penitential acclamation.  The article
> > confirms what
> > I have known for some time that the Kyries were from the East, and were
> > originally part of a much more extended litany primarily aimed at praying
> > for someone or something.  Thus, instead of Lord/Christ have mercy
> > (upon us), the meaning is closer to Lord/Christ hear our prayer.

In recent years I’ve been attracted to the Sarum liturgy. ( Some - hi Fr
Tony and Allan Carr - may even remember I made a winter’s journey to New
York to experience it firsthand.) In fact, even as I sang many a
Renaissance  Mass , I always felt that the Kyrie was incomplete.

You can find the Sarum Kyriale in Latin at
> htmcwordpress.mcmaster.ca/renwick/missal/temporale/   and in English in
> the St. Dunstan Kyriale

 edited by Winifred Douglas.(There is a link to it in the Musica Sacra
Forum.)

Regards
Lesley de Voil

> --