[Magdalen] Theological and Liturgical Tidbits - St. John'sAbbey.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Nov 9 18:50:54 UTC 2017

Even the fanatic Tridentine supporters admit there were a lot of poorly executed
Masses that could drive any worshiper to boredom.  There were the Rosary ladies who
paid no attention to the Mass at all, but fumbled their beads throughout.  Then there were
Masses in the side altars going on simultaneouslyi n clear view of the congregation, etc.

The real thing, the Tridentine Solemn High Mass with plainchant, polyphony, or even
orchestral accompaniment is/was worship to behold.

Even in my dinky high school (200) in NW Wisconsin, we had 4 years of Latin, though the
pronunciation was of the German academic school.  This was a public, not parochial school.

David S.

In a message dated 11/9/2017 11:51:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, houstonklr at gmail.com writes:

> I’m old enough to remember the mass in Latin. Nobody paid much attention.
> Now at least people appear to be listening.
> -M

 I remember speaking in Latin by 2nd grade to recite words in church that
had not meaning... sigh. L>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>