[Magdalen] Birthday donation site?

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 07:22:54 UTC 2017

I have requested that those who want to give me a Xmas present make a
donation to a charity such as the USO, and I will give the full URL for the
page where one can donate to that charity. You will probably be able to
find the exact page one needs in order to donate, so the donor does not
have to go through a menu, but opens directly to that page. In some cases,
the site is set up so that the exact page is not in the URL, and in that
event, you would give the URL, and then give precise directions for how to
get to the page that concerns making donations.

I like this because I can take all the work out of it for the other person,
I'm pretty sure the URL is right, and one hundred per cent of the donation
goes to the charity. If you were to go through some third-party site,
something like six to fifteen per cent of the donation is going to be kept
by that site for operating expenses.

Also, and this is just me, if I got a request to make a donation to some
third-party site, I would probably do a check to see whether it is a
reputable site, so this does take time. Perfectly well-intentioned people
will pass along a URL they believe to be okay -- except that, unbeknownst
to them, it isn't.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford