[Magdalen] Brother headed for ordination

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 01:22:00 UTC 2017

I've sometimes thought I'm guilty of not answering a call to priesthood.
Maybe I am, but maybe I've just heard more clearly the point also sometimes
made that priesthood is more than the inevitable path for anyone who
develops a keen interest in theology, liturgy, and what God is doing in the
world--that we need lay people like that, too. Priesthood is about those
things a priest is needed for: am I called to preside at the Holy
Eucharist? preach and have a cure of souls in a parish? I haven't been able
to answer those resoundingly Yes. In my actual vocation I find I am more of
a well-informed co-participant than a leader; I can't imagine being a
rector and never saw myself as an actual pastor.

And I realize I could ask my rector (we'll have one as of next Thursday,
when the Very Rev. Patrick Raymond, our priest-in-charge, will (TBTG)
become our rector in a Celebration of a New Ministry) to convene a
discernment committee, but my starting point would be the above. I don't
know how many approach such a committee saying "I don't think I'm called to
ordained ministry and here's why."

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Roger Stokes <roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com

--
Scott R. Knitter