[Magdalen] Brother headed for ordination

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Wed Nov 22 18:37:54 UTC 2017

Scott, I don’t know how old you are; younger than me, I know. In the
Episcopal Church, for the priesthood, at least, age is sometimes a factor
(though I know those who were ordained well into their 50s). Remember, part
of the call is individual, and part is the Church's determination. Good or
bad, part of their determination is how many working years a priest will
have to pay into the pension system (based on retirement at age 72), before
the pension system starts paying out to them. It sounds crass, but it’s
realistic. It’s also not the only, or even primary consideration, but it
might factor in, and might be worth asking the bishop or Diocesan ministry
commission about. I think you should try a formal discernment process, or
at least discuss it with your rector (always the first step). And I’m
certainly not trying to throw cold water on your discernment. Eventually
you’ll need to discover if you’ve been running away from God, or not! I’m
putting you on my prayer list, because this is a welcome development, IMO.

--
Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY