[Magdalen] R.I.P. Carol Gainer

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 17:16:15 UTC 2017

I learned last night from a mutual friend that my old friend Carol Gainer
died Sunday night. I'm not sure of the circumstances but apparently Sister
Death came calling for her during the Packers game, which was appropriate,
as she was as big a cheesehead as any of us who grew up during the golden
era of Vince Lombardi's team.

Carol and I were very close during our 20s and 30s and in fact it was she
who introduced me to my late ex. (However, she hadn't spoken to me since he
and I separated; she took his side entirely.) She had been in extremely
poor health in recent  years since her husband Joel died a few years ago of
pancreatic cancer (probably due to Agent Orange exposure). She never took
care of herself, was overweight, diabetic, and a smoker, and suffered a
stroke about 7 years back. She had told friends she didn't want to hang
around for a long time without Joel, and she didn't. She is survived by two
sons, Scott and Chris (who were the delight of my young years and are now
into their 50s!) and their wives, and NO grandchildren, which kind of
surprises me.

May she find rest unto her soul.