[Magdalen] today's SUPREMES NYTimes

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 20:05:00 UTC 2017

Opening salvo for a NYTimes article on today's SCOTUS activity...  I hold
out hope.
Lynn

WASHINGTON - Justice Anthony M. Kennedy has long been troubled by extreme
partisan gerrymandering, where the party in power draws voting districts to
give itself a lopsided advantage in elections. But he has never found a
satisfactory way to determine when voting maps are so warped by politics
that they cross a constitutional line.

After spirited Supreme Court arguments on Tuesday, there was reason to think
Justice Kennedy may be ready to join the court's more liberal members in a
groundbreaking decision that could reshape American democracy by letting
courts determine when lawmakers have gone too far.

Justice Kennedy asked skeptical questions of lawyers defending a Wisconsin
legislative map that gave Republicans many more seats in the State Assembly
than their statewide vote tallies would have predicted. He asked no
questions of the lawyer representing the Democratic voters challenging the
map.

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck

"Mercy and compassion are more than personal options. They are the antidotes
to that fear and hatred." Mark Singel