[Magdalen] Saint Bartholomew the Great.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Sep 1 18:37:54 UTC 2017

The current issue of the UK monthly, "Choir & Organ" has a
couple of pictures of a choir rehearsing in front of a grand but  simple
church high altar.  The church is not identified, but I correctly  guessed
the pictures were taken in the sanctuary of the only remaining  medieval
church in confines of the traditional "City of London" England, the
others all having been destroyed in the Great Fire of London.

This parish church was originally monastic, and twice its present  size,
but most of the nave has been pulled down, leaving the spacious
(architectural) choir, crossing, and one bay of the nave.  The  style
of the church is one of my favorites - late Norman (Romanesque) going
on early gothic.

In any case, the high altar is typically high Anglican, with full
vestiture,
the six Office lights (candles) and a pair of "pavement" lights
(floor candles), which can also be decorated seasonally with  appropriate
flowers.  There is no mistaking this altar for a picnic table or  living
room
endtable.  The altar is also against the east wall, so "versus
populum" is precluded.

And it's fully in accordance with Vatican-2, since there is nothing in
the official transcripts of that momentous meeting that suggest
pulling altars away from walls, and celebration versus populum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Bartholomew-the-Great

http://greatstbarts.com/

David S.