[Magdalen] Viet Nam Series.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Sep 20 15:03:09 UTC 2017

In a message dated 9/20/2017 8:52:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
romanos at mindspring.com writes:

I  was either still in seminary or newly ordained. I still recall the
funerals.  >>>>>>>>>>>

I recall vividly the Gulf of Tonkin event in August of 1964.  I had  just
started what became a long rotation in my UM-Minneapolis residency
program at the VAMC Minneapolis.  There were three male  residents
assigned to the VA, and we were all technically available for  induction
into the Army Forces (the draft resumed within the year, I think),  and
all of us wailed and shook our heads hoping against hope that the
authorities would not use this event as an excuse for escalating the
War/  It was not to be.

Two of us had small, rural draft boards, and knew the employees
of each by first name.  We both were able to convince them to  let
us finish our residencies before allowing us to be drafted.  Thus,  I
was drafted and then offered a commission as captain in the
Army Medical Corps in February, 1966.

The third resident who had a large urban draft board was sucked
right into the Army and ended up in Viet Nam doing general medical
work.

Upon my return from active duty in 1970, I was appointed to the
Western Wisconsin Draft Appeal Board that mediated draft
disputes and causes for the western half of Wisconsin.  I thus  had
a way to thank the draft boards for favors granted earlier.

David S.