[Magdalen] Viet Nam Series.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Sep 21 04:19:16 UTC 2017

In a message dated 9/20/2017 8:53:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
romanos at mindspring.com writes:

I was  exempt from the draft because of my vocation which made pacifism an
awkward  option later on in the  parish.

They drafted any physician who was physically able up through the age  of
33.  For reference, all able physicians were drafted into WW-2 up  through
the age of 46.  There were really relatively few physicians at the  time of
WW-2 in civilian medical care, and they pretty much all worked non-
stop.  Most of them, I might add, became wealthy in these years of  rapid
inflation.

I was thrown a little party in Saint Paul the week before going on active
duty
at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX.  There were a number of  resident
physicians there, and two of them were 34 years old. They were still  in
training because they were in very lengthy residencies:  cardiac
surgery, and neurosurgery.  They both were shortly finishing  their
residencies and launched into private practice.  I, by contrast,  was
                           entering a 3 year+ stint in the Army Medical
Corps.  Despite my  eventual
lucking out with the Germany assignment, I would have preferred also
going into private practice.

The party was an odd feeling for them and for me.

David S.