[Magdalen] Whew!

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Sep 26 03:37:12 UTC 2017

We have a report from one of my spouse's family that the family
home is heavily damaged, with about 50% of the roof gone.   Somehow
Wilfred came up with an aerial view of the home showing it roofless
in three areas.  The yard with trees and flowering shrubs is  toast.  There
has been no word of the family dogs - all Chihuahuas I think, and  four
in number.  There is, of course, no water and no electricity.   They also
had no insurance on the home.  This is the situation with most  people
they know on Saint Croix because after Hurricane Hugo the rates
became unaffordable.

As I see it ( but I'm not being asked --- yet---) there are several
possibilities:

(1) Let mother-in-law and brother fend for themselves, and presumably
things will return to a kind of normalcy over a perhaps long period  of
time

(2) Encourage these relatives to come to the States and be hosted for
whatever length of time they wish - perhaps permanently.  There  are
several families, including our own home, capable of hosting such.

(3)  The mother-in-law and brother remain on Saint Croix and the
family in the States, including Wilfred and me, pitch in to help them
financially to rebuild.

And meanwhile DT spends his time and energy on such things as
questioning First Amendment freedoms, and stirring up racial  tensions.

And so it goes.

David S.