[Magdalen] The 18th of April

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Apr 17 19:28:57 UTC 2018

This poem, "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" was one of
many my father (born: 1880) memorized when such was
common in USA grammar schools (His school in the
fields of Southwestern Minnesota).

He often coughed up this poem even when it was not
related to anything at hand, but he had a peculiar method
of delivery on the portion that goes,"On the 18th of April
in 75, Hardly a man is now alive...........(long pause, then
he continued)  WHO remembers that day. (as though asking
a question) and then pretty much as written by HW Longfellow.
There are apparently many historical inaccuracies in the
Longfellow version.

Revere was a silversmith, and a good one, too.  His parents
were of Huguenot origin just as my father's side, though DNA
analysis shows that after 16 generations since 1688, I only
have 1% French Huguenot genes.

"Listen my children and you shall hear......."

David S.