[Magdalen] The 18th of April

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 05:21:39 UTC 2018

In the time honored tradition of Pastor Weems!

We Xtians should not even blink an eye at historical inaccuracies, since
they mean nothing, compared to what that august poem means.

I remember standing at the Bridge that arched the flood, having traveled
the road that in theory was the modern version of the oxcart path the
British followed. The path ridden by Revere (if his name wasn't Revere [it
wasn't] who really cares? We went an' got our guns, wrote the second
amendment and the rest, as they say...

One profoundly sad thing is that they don't write poems the way they used
to.

I found this out while on a cruise from Saktpeterburg to Moscow. I was
talking with one of the crew about Yevgenii Yevtushenko.
She asked his name again, and then googled him on her phone. Then she
realized to some extent that he had been a noted personality, but the fact
that he was almost like a god for the poems he wrote -- that is all gone
now. I was very sad at that moment.

I committed his poem Karyera to memory. I can still remember a lot of it.
Shostakovitch included it in symphony based on the poems of Yevgenii.

Nobody writes poems of that scope anymore. Here or in the land formerly
known as CCCP.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford