[Magdalen] Cady's update (was Re: No mail...)

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 21 22:11:05 UTC 2018

On 21/04/2018 14:58, cady soukup wrote:
> April has been a disorienting month, from the weather to whatever. Too much?

Thanks for the updates

> The Downers Grove Soukup sibs finally got together to inter our father next
> to our mother in their chosen cemetery in the Chicago area  Fairmount
> cemetery, surrounded by Cook County Forest Preserve, overlooking Long John
> Slough and the Little Red Schoolhouse section of the preserve. It was
> lovely, and blustery.
>
> Anne flew in from Switzerland, where she is now Madame Le President of tpg
> (Transportation Publique de Geneve), the public transport system for the
> Geneva Canton in Switzerland. She loves the job! Tpg is moving to
> sustainable energy public transportation for all sections of the canton.

I am not surprised she loves the job. It will; have its frustrations but
should be very rewarding.

> Pete transitioned from a substitute teacher in the Cook and Du Page county
> school systems (he is also a professional musician in the Chicago area,
> trombone) back to a tech network sales person (after Dad died and no onger
> needed daily care).  Peg is a retired legal aide. Bill, who lives in
> Georgia, decided to opt out of our family. We respect his desire.
>
> The brand new Culpepr Region of the Diocese of Virginia had its first
> meeting. Yes, I was elected chair.

Congratulations and or commiserations as appropriate. I can see
interesting times ahead (interpret that as you will)

> Of the five lay and six clergy members
> present (representing 7 of the 10 chueches in the region), 3 of the lay and
> 3 of the clergy now are officers/reps. Several of the churches do not have
> web sites or official email addresses. Several of the small churches are
> struggling. We have a whole new focus, with new directives from the diocese.
>
> The spring executive board of the diocese met with the region presidents.
> The presidents had a working lunch with bishop Shannon Johnston. The top
> Big Diocese Issues have largely been addressed, so it is time to pay
> attention to the next levels of issues. Like finding a suffragan bishop.
> More changes.
>
> As of April 1, the contract on which I work for CMS reorganized, so my job
> description, team, and supervisory structure all changed. With those
> changes are updates to the tools and the procedures by which we get
> permission/approvals to perform updates and solve problems in the online
> product (web pages for the kidney disease section of Medicare initiatives,
> predating the Affordable Care Act by almost 20 years, so it should be more
> “mature” than it is).
>
> The ultimate goal is to move away from Microsoft and Oracle products and
> into open source and cloud products, a multi year goal.
>
> The transition to the new tech company, Perspecta (perspectacle, whose logo
> looks ike a monocle) began on April 1. I now have 4 work related laptos on
> my desk,  3 for HP>HPE>DXC Tech>Perspecta, 2 of which must be returned,
> each of which needs several hours of fiddling to get functiona (for the
> newest Perspecta DELL) or nonfunctional (for the HP>HPE>DXC Tech HP laptops
> that must be sent back). BAH!

I would adopt a fairly simple approach to the latter task - reformat or
destroy the hard disk.

Roger